5.08.2011

Alexa's Spring Salad.



I go to school in Oregon so the weather is rarely hot out, but today was warm and beautiful so I  automatically wanted something healthy and fresh. I decided to whip up this delicious salad. My mom makes this salad for me everytime I’m home and I needed a homey meal to get me through these next five weeks. All the ingredients mend together so nicely and the eggs add that protein you need to get you through the day. The dressing is a very creamy mustard mixture that works wonderfully with the eggs and vegtables. It’s a fast and easy salad to make so I highly recommend trying it.



Ingredients:
-Half a bag of lettuce
-½ of a cucumber
-½ of a red onion
-2 eggs

Dressing:
-1 garlic clove minced
-Dash of salt and pepper
-2 tablespoons of olive oil
-1 tablespoon of honey mustard
-1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard



Directions:
Fill up a pot half way with water and let boil for the eggs. Once water is ready put in both eggs and let cook for ten minutes*. While waiting for the eggs you can prep the other ingredients. Chop up half a cucumber and half an onion. Once both are chopped to your preference set aside and make dressing. Blend the olive oil, both mustards, minced garlic, salt and pepper together with a whisk and set aside. Once eggs are cooked, peel the eggs and chop them up. Put all of the ingredients on the lettuce of your choice and then add dressing. Mix all together and taste to see if it needs more salt or pepper. Then bon appetit!

*Note: Eggs coming out of the fridge are cold, and putting them directly into hot water can cause them to crack. I suggest letting them sit for a few minutes in a bowl of warm water while you wait for the other water to boil. This way there's an easier temperature transition for the eggs. I also suggest putting them in a bowl of cold water once you've removed them from the boiling water. This will stop them from cooking (they continue to cook once removed from the boiling water) and it will also make them cooler to the touch/easier to handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment