5.01.2011

Went To See The Gypsy...

...and she told me I was destined to work in retail.

Just kidding, there is no gypsy. But I'm telling you, folks, I am way too good at customer service and it's freaking me out. Normally my job in the bookstore consists of standing for hours while reading magazines and folding shirts, and occasionally ringing up a customer (when people actually decide to come in the store, which isn't that often). When I do interact with customers, I love it. For the most part. A lot of them are my age, don't know how to make eye contact, and apparently never learned that when a cashier's hand is extended to them with palm raised, it means "put your money here". Not "toss your money on the counter while grunting". But do I get ornery with those little bastards? No I do not. I smile. I take their currency. I handle their purchases with care and ask if they're familiar with our return policy. No? I explain it in detail, but with few words. Because that's what customers like. I would know. I've been one before. But I digress. The point is, an average day at the bookstore doesn't provide me with too many opportunities to flex my customer service muscles. But Friday and yesterday were not your average day. Graduation is just around the corner, so USF holds a Grad Fair. They shouldn't call it this, as the word "Fair" connotes rides, games, bounce houses, and alcohol. This Grad Fair is more of a "free coffee and mini muffins in a multipurpose room that has tables for you to sign up for the Alumni Association, get your graduation tickets, pick up your cap and gown, and purchase landfill teddy bears and license plate borders from the bookstore table". But I'm okay with this ridiculous tradition because it means that I get to sell diploma frames to the proud and excited graduates. First of all, the Grad Fair is awesome because it includes free food and drink all day. Second of all, it means sitting around with my coworkers (way more employees working this thing than necessary, my manager's MO) talking nonsense for seven hours. Third of all, it means I get to kick some customer service ass. I don't know what it is, but I get a high from this crap. I love explaining why the Windsor finish frame with the medallion costs $25 more than the Classic finish frame with the embossed stamp. I love reminding them that the frames for the Master diplomas are going to be considerably larger than the Bachelor frames, and that yes PhD and Master are the same size. I love informing them that if they order today, shipping is free. And normally it's $35 dollars so it really is a deal. But of course, frames are always available in the bookstore if they're not quite ready to purchase today. I sicken myself. But damn I'm good. I sold the shit out of those frames. I'm not trying to sound cocky, I'm just telling it like it is.

In all honesty, though, I need a new job. I intend to get a new one in August when I'm back in the city, preferably one closer to where I live or closer to City College in order to lessen my weekly commute. But it has got to be a job where I'm working with people. Not in theory. Actual face-to-face, assisting the customer, working with people. Did I mention that I have fantastic phone presence? Because I do. That's an aside. I want a job that keeps me busy enough to keep my eyes off the clock. I want a job where I get to work with an awesome bunch of people. I want a job that will keep me thinking and engaged. I want a job that has windows so that I can actually see the sun and not just imagine that it's there. No more basements or back rooms for me. Put it out into the universe for me, readers. I'm counting on you.

-LG

No comments:

Post a Comment