5.29.2011

Goodbye Italy.

I'm thinking that the month of Italian cooking is coming to a close. Let me apologize for what a giant failure it turned out to be. I didn't make any of my deadlines, and when I did manage to cook something, it was far too similar to what came before it. I will have you know, however, that both the gnocchi and BOTH lasagnas were vastly successful and delicious! I have come to the conclusion that Italian cooking is very time consuming. If you're doing everything from scratch, that is, which I did. I started working on the lasagnas at three yesterday afternoon and was cooking all the way up until we sat down to eat at eight. I did make two, and twenty four hours later they're both gone. I think they were a success, yes? Taking that kind of time to work on a project usually drives me insane and I lose interest but not with cooking, for some reason. I don't even really notice the time passing. Maybe part of it is because food isn't something you can really set aside to finish later. Once you start, you have to finish. Otherwise the ingredients will go bad or you'll be without your dinner. But even so, cooking never feels like a chore or an obligation. So spending five hours in the kitchen yesterday was delightful. The gnocchi didn't take quite that long but you do have to allow an hour for freezing it before boiling it. And an hour and a half for the potatoes to bake. I'll post the recipe for the gluten free gnocchi within the next few days. I'm still currently at my parent's house and will be until Tuesday methinks.

Now I just took a minute to reread my last post and thought that I should expand a bit on it. Once I finally got around to leaving my apartment around four, the fog had burned off and it was actually quite sunny. In fact, it turned out to be a perfect and beautiful afternoon. I was superbly happy. I went straight to the Goodwill in Haight and ended up leaving with what can only be described as a gangster furry coat (it's not really fur, but it is really gangster), a classic Gap denim jacket (much softer than anticipated. I was delighted by this discovery), another men's white tee for $4 (so soft, so white, so cheap), and *drum roll please* high waisted, slim cut, tight leather pants. That feel like butter. For $21.99. That's just not something you say no to. It's just not! I'm hoping to get some decent pictures up of my finds pretty soon. I'm already envisioning outfits, most especially ones that include both the furry coat and the tight leather pants. I can't wait to make this happen.

Next was my jaunt into Whole Foods which, let's be honest, is always a delight and a half. It's a treat to shop there because it really is expensive. But if I'm going to be getting more serious about this gluten free business (for REAL this time), I might have to pay more visits to WF. They have a very large selection of gluten free foods and alternatives, and if there is food available to me that doesn't contain gluten and isn't all that inconvenient to get to, then I need to man up and take advantage of it. I've been lazy up until this point.  Which isn't hard for me to admit. I've been thinking a lot lately about my laziness and trying to figure out where the hell it comes from. Anyway that's beside the point. The point is, I have tight leather pants and gluten free crackers that actually taste good and I thought you all should know.

-LG

No comments:

Post a Comment