5.25.2011

Testing Testing.

For those of you who aren't aware, there are tests you can get done to check for gluten intolerance. It's actually a series of three tests, and one of them is a blood test. My big sister is about to embark on Operation Blood Test. What does OBT include, you ask? A week straight of bombarding your small intestine with gluten bombs. She begins tomorrow and has already written up an extensive list of goodies she plans on eating. Top of the list is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on white bread. But the list also includes pastas, pastries, pizza, donuts, bagels, crackers, cereals, etc. I'm going to be going home again this weekend and told her that I wanted to cook for the family. Her response was "LASAGNA!!! PASTA! GLUTEN". You got it! I will be making her a big, cheesy, meaty, gluteny lasagna. I might make two, one gluten free and one gluten filled. And my oldest sister will also be visiting for the weekend so it's going to be a food fest! And the upside to cooking at my parent's house is that they pay for the ingredients. I love it. But until then, I'm going to try my hand at gluten free gnocchi. Here's my current issue, though. Making any kind of  of gluten free pasta or dough requires like three different kinds of doughs and gums, none of which I have, and none of which are sold at TJs or any of the other grocery stores in my area. If I want those things, I have to go to Whole Foods to get them. And let me just tell you, Whole Foods is not near by. And it's foggy and cold today and I am feeling superbly lazy. Blah. But I gotta do it. It's killing me.

Edit: I left this for a few hours to eat and get dressed and decided that since the closest/most convenient Whole Foods is in the Haight, I'll stop by Goodwill while I'm over there! I haven't been thrifting since February which is just criminal. I'll do that first, of course, so that I'm not lugging four pounds of potatoes and tomatoes around the aisles. And bags of flour. Cannot wait. Alright I'm officially off!

-LG

No comments:

Post a Comment