5.17.2011

A Slow And Painful Death.

I have been gone for a few days and for that I apologize. I'm still trying to recover from my weekend and I can't believe it's only Tuesday. I work five days this week, all eight hour shifts, during one of the busiest times of the semester: buyback. It's going to be a long, painful, exhausting week. Which means I picked a terrible weekend to get down with my bad self. I mentioned already that Friday night was one of underaged drinking splendor. It included fist fights, the police, and cocaine. What? Yeah. After the party roomie and I attended, we headed back to our apartment. It's all a little hazy but at some point someone decided that, since we drink, it meant that we were "cool with drugs here, right?", which meant that it was a good time to whip out some cocaine. Um...no. So he got the boot. Saturday roomie and I had a soccer game, and we played like champs considering our hangovers. We lost, but we lost in style. The rest of the day was for recovery and preparation. For what, you ask? Bay to Breakers. For those of you unfamiliar with what BtoB is, I shall explain. It's a seven mile run from the Bay to Ocean Beach by way of Golden Gate Park. "Lauren, I didn't know you were a runner!". I'm not, it's against my religion. But a giant, mostly nude, drunken, halloween-esque parade of hundreds of thousands of people in the early morning hours of May is not against my religion, and so I did partake. Search it on Google images, you'll see what I mean. Anyway, Saturday night roomie and I slept over at her boyfriend's house so that we could wake up bright and early (6:30 am) and meet up with everyone else/pre-game (drinking before you drink). I did not pregame, because I despise the taste of alcohol and it turns out my feelings are no different at dawn. It still tastes like hellfire. In fact, I was hating life on our way there, once we got there, and for about an hour of being there. Being the only sober one in a sea of drunks is obnoxious. Not to mention the fact that the particular drunks I was with suck big time. Not to mention the fact that I've spent my entire life being an observer and usually have a hard time enjoying myself at these types of shindigs due to my inability to participate. But you guys, I discovered the secret. I'm not sure where along the route we were when I decided to suck it up and start drinking, but my god it was a good choice. Avid drinkers call this a "day fade"; drunk in the day time. I dunno who started this trend of drinking while the sun is up but I am a fan. I high fived many fellow day faders. Roomie received a free temporary tattoo somewhere in Golden Gate park. I asked an older naked gentleman about his lifestyle choices. I peed outside for the first time excluding camping! So basically my first outdoor drunk pee! Too much information? I'm sorry, but it needed to be said. And for the record, I outdoor-drunk-pee like a pro. Anyway, we made a lot of beautiful memories that day. It's a shame I can't recall most of them.

What does all this have to do with my title of doom up there? Physical pain. That's what. Saturday's game left me feeling shredded. And not shredded as in "buff" but shredded as in "torn-to-shreds-kill-me-now-put-me-out-of-my-misery-can't-even-sit-down-without-yelping-in-pain". That kind. Add to that a seven mile walk and now 40 hours of standing. Wanna know what else? This world was designed for short people. For buyback at work (when the students sell back their textbooks), we have extra registers set up outside the store. They're set up on tables. Tables that come up to my frickin upper thigh. I'm going to be spending 40 hours this week squatting, bending, cranking my already effed up neck/back (more on that in a bit), and tweaking my wrist on the computer mouse. I can't even describe all the different kinds of pain I'm feeling right now. All I know is that it's only Tuesday and I still have three more days of this. To top it all off, I can't sleep. You'd think that after a weekend like that and workdays like I've been having, I'd be too exhausted to function. Oh wait a minute, I am. But then I lay down and suddenly I'm wired. And now for the complaints about my neck: about a month ago I stretched my neck awkwardly, causing it to get stuck in a sideways position for a few days. I love having to rotate my entire upper body to look a few inches to my left. It eventually relaxed but while it was spasming, my other neck/upper back muscles overcompensated to pick up the slack, and as a result they got strained and out of whack. It continues to get worse and radiate farther down my back. So. The next few days are going to absolutely rock the healing process. Can you say hot mess? Welcome to my slow and painful death. If you haven't already noticed, the shitty SF weather is putting me in a funk. Have I mentioned that I want to get the frick out of here? Okay I'm done, I swear.

-LG

1 comment:

  1. Ok, where do I start?

    1. Good for you, peeing outside! I can still remember my first drunk pee. It was spectacular.

    2. You are young, and should therefore heal quickly. In the end, it was probably worth it.

    3. Does your school want to buy back my outdated biology texts? How about an old psyc book? No? Oh well, it was worth a shot.

    4. My cousin (in law) just introduced me to the most hilarious phrase, which I am now obligated to use any time someone I know throws a pity party. Are you ready? Here goes:

    Dear Bosnian pen pal, I partied too hard and have too many hours at work. Life is hard.

    ReplyDelete