4.19.2011

Heart Via Stomach.

Over the weekend a friend asked me what my favorite kind of cooking is. By that they meant baking versus BBQ, oven versus stove, etc. But the only answer I could give was that what I love most is cooking for other people. Cooking itself is wonderful, but it's only part of the experience. I love trying to pick dishes I think everyone will like, spending a good part of my day preparing and cooking the meal, and finally setting it down in front of them to wait anxiously for their reaction. It has nothing to do with impressing anyone. It's about bringing that person comfort and pleasure on a plate. Giving them a moment to (hopefully) enjoy something outside of what is usually a busy and preoccupying day. It's about getting to a person's heart through their stomach.

This coming weekend two of my sisters and I are having a slumber party. It's years overdue. Being the youngest of four was hard for me growing up. I watched as, one by one, my sisters grew up and on to other, bigger things. My mom would always assure me that we would all become close again when we were older, and that I just needed to be patient. I didn't believe her. But now that we're all growing into/settling into adulthood, we find ourselves settling into each other again. And so this weekend I want to lavish upon my sisters heaps of mouth watering food. I want to fatten them up with love from my tiny, infuriating kitchen. Whatever I make for this week's recipe, I will share with them and hope that they love it. I don't know yet what I want to make, just that I want to get creative and improvise as much as possible. My sister Kaitlin is a successful gluten free eater, and so the recipe will have to be gluten free. Thinking about cooking her a gluten free meal or treat has me thinking about cooking gluten free in general. I desperately need to kick my gluten habit. I think the only way to get me motivated and keep me encouraged (because it can be incredibly discouraging) is if I try to conquer gluten free food. I want to not only try gluten free recipes, but maybe even make some up. I want to become a bomb ass gluten free cook. I'm going to add this to my list of goals for the coming year. If I'm going to be cooking more, I might as well cook gluten free as often as possible.

I'll keep you all posted with what I choose. I want to make something surprising and successfully unusual. I want to combine ingredients that you wouldn't think of combining. I want to make something beyond what an every day meal would be for them. I have much mulling over to do.

Back when I was still the shortest. 
Me, age 3; Kaitlin, age 6.
In bossy matching nightgowns, no less.

-LG

No comments:

Post a Comment