4.23.2011

Someone's In The Laboratory With Lauren.

Hello there. Sorry for my short absence, the past few days have been filled with work and festivities. I am officially the big 2-0, and while I didn't do anything illegal to send my teens off with a bang, I have been spending my birthday week with friends and family and I can't ask for anything better than that.

It is the morning of the Big Sleepover that I'm having with my sisters, and I have only just now decided what I want to make. Last minute inspiration strikes again! And what's even better is that my best friend Melanie has agreed to make the trek from the East Bay to be my Baking Co-pilot today. So here's what I'm planning on making. For tomorrow morning, I will bake a breakfast pizza complete with mango sausages, mushrooms, and monterey jack cheese. The dough has already been made with Italian spices added to it for flavor. Gluten free breads and doughs tend to need all the extra flavor they can get. And I'm thinking of adding garlic cloves to the dough before putting it in the over. And for tonight, I will attempt to bake what is essentially going to be a muffin cake with fruit compote and goat cheese frosting. I got super excited at work the other day when I thought up goat cheese frosting, thinking that I was about to be the inventor of something awesome. Turns out someone beat me to it. Anyway, I want to make a pear compote and a blackberry compote. I'm thinking the pear cakelette will be a savory, cinnamon-y, spicy confection with the tart frosting to cut the sweetness. The blackberry cakelette will be sweeter, and perhaps have lemon zest in it. I will be making up the recipe as I go along, hence the reference to a laboratory. It could all go terribly wrong. I don't have a beater for the frosting, so it's creaminess depends on how jacked I'm feeling today. I don't have one for the cake mix either, for that matter, so Melanie and I will have to tag team. I'm pretty sure she works out though so if anything I'll just make her do it. I don't have cupcake tins but that's fine because I do have bread tins and my plan is to make mini square layer cakes. I have very high hopes for these cakes and very little time to execute them. I'm leaving in a few minutes to fetch Melanie from BART, and from there we're going straight to Trader Joes to get all the necessary ingredients. My sister is picking me up at four and from there we're heading over to Marin. So I am under the gun, people!!! Wish me luck and I'll report back with the full recipe and, I can only assume, delightful anecdotes of my many failures. Happy Saturday everyone!

-LG

No comments:

Post a Comment