1.14.2011

It's A Novel.

Today was day one of putting myself out there. Well actually it was day, like, 7 since for the past week I've been stalking Craigslist and responding to "Artist Wanted" posts in the Community section. So if anything I've been a touch overenthusiastic. But a few days ago I responded to one, basically saying "I'm an artist, pick me!" and actually got a response (I'm always perplexed at the amount of rude people who don't respond even just to say "no thank you". I realize it's Craigslist but come on) asking to set up an appointment. A date was chosen. A time was set. The fateful meeting was to be for Thursday, January thirteenth, two-thousand-and-eleven, the year of our lord, on Mission between 4th and 5th. And it was a success! I guess I should explain what this individual was posting about to begin with. A gallery in downtown SF was/is interviewing local artists for a show in February. I brought my portfolio, poured it out all over the leather couch, and begged for approval. Just kidding, I was totally composed the entire time. Legs crossed like a lady, leaning back like a G. But to be completely honest, I was freaking out the whole way there. When I get nervous I get nauseous and feel like I have to pee, both of which suck when you have to spend an hour on public transportation smack in the middle of rush hour. I kept going over everything I had with me thinking "they all suck. They're amateurish, I'm untrained, he won't like it". We're our own worst critics and if you're like me and have had almost zero exposure to other people's opinions (outside of your family and friends) then even pieces that are actually quite good appear boring or flawed to you. Boring is a big one for me. A lot of the time I feel like I don't bring anything new or interesting to the table, I'm not different enough. But he liked all of it, and it felt so gratifying to hear that from a man who looks at art all day. Before my appointment I was wandering around the gallery looking at the work of so many different artists thinking "it will be awhile before I'm on the level of these people. I'm going to be rejected today but hey, at least I came". And on my way out it was the complete opposite! Basically I have until the 25th to submit a deposit and approximately four pieces (all of which have to be new since none of my work can really be used as a show piece) and I will be in one of their shows in February! And they have these shows frequently so if I don't do it in February, I can in March. I feel so good and for at least a few days I'll have a more realistic perspective of my abilities. On that note, here is my insight for the day: I suggest to any self-doubting new or aspiring artist to do what I did today. I am so much more motivated now knowing that I'm not the only one who likes what I do and that someone else thinks it could be marketable. And I would suggest doing this maybe once a month to keep refreshing your perspective. Yes, rejection is scary, but like all of the creative industries, the art world is one in which you need to grow a tough skin. And the sooner you start learning/dealing in the business side of things, the better. I realized today how innocent I am when it comes to these kinds of interactions. I had no idea what to expect or say, I have no idea what's reasonable for a gallery to ask of me, I have no idea how to price my work, or even how best to present it. It was suddenly very clear to me how easily I could be taken advantage of. I have a somewhat better idea now, but today gave me a list of things to research and improve upon. So talk to people in the industry, talk to other successful artists, do some online research, whatever it is you have to do to better prepare yourself. Even if you are not always successful in these ventures, you are beginning to build a network and you never know, you might just stumble upon your big break. So if there's one thing that you should take from this post, it is that Craigslist is God.

-LG

No comments:

Post a Comment