1.31.2011

Updated.

I added a new piece to my Art page. Here's the whole image, but there are detail shots on the page:


I made this for my biology binder the semester before last. It had been my goal to do one for each of my classes but I'm sure you can guess how that turned out. At first I wasn't sure where I was going with this. I generally don't start out with an end product in mind, just an (very vague) idea. So by the time I'm finished with a piece, I'm just as surprised/confused/weirded out/delighted as anyone else. The inspiration here was medical drawings. I'm not sure why, but I love anatomical drawings. It seemed appropriate for Bio, so I referenced a basic picture of the muscles and a basic picture of the skeleton. Before I knew what was going on, I was writing words inside the muscles. Voila! Binder art. As far as how my pieces turn out, I've been thinking about that a lot lately. I know I mentioned earlier that I'm drawn to the surreal, and love the work of MC Escher and Salvador Dali. But a lot of the time my work comes out somewhat creepy and dark and I honestly have no idea why. I'm not even drawn to other artists' creepy work for the most part. But I'll get an idea in my head and then suddenly said idea is missing eyes or arms. I dunno. Sometimes it's intentional for symbolic purposes, but the majority of the time that's not the case. If I figure it out, I'll let you all know. Oh and I'm also adding a pencil sketch to the Art page so check it out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment