2.11.2011

Hot Topics.

I got a charger AND a new battery for my computer! The only trouble there is, the batteries are identical (duh) and when removing the old one from my computer and the new one from my bag, I placed them side by side on the couch without paying attention to which was which. This little mishap elicited a very loud "shit" and then a few minutes of staring. Since I have all weekend to figure it out, that's what I'll be doing. Anyway, this is meant to be a continuation of the last post. I posted a sketch and didn't really have time to talk about it, so now I do. And mostly it's a rant. The sketch is much more akin to the work I've done in the past and definitely my style/preference. But I am beyond annoyed with myself, or whatever presence comes over me when I draw what I consider to be my successes. This presence is sporadic and finicky. I cannot conjure it up. I cannot ask it politely. I can't even beg. When I try to continue along a vein I've started on- for instance, the sketch in the previous post was executed when I, on a whim, decided not to pay attention during Asian Art History; but when I deliberately tried not to pay attention during The Early Christian Church, I got nothin- I'm given the cold shoulder. This wouldn't be a problem if it only happened every once in awhile, but unfortunately that is not the case. To put it simply, I cannot deliberately draw. It happens almost by accident. Once I see that I'm in the presence of "the presence" I'm afraid to scare it away. Actually I'm not annoyed, I'm sad. This is one of the reasons why I don't draw/paint more. I frickin can't! Even when I want to. Most especially when I want to. I ask you all: is it just me? Or do any of my other two readers experience something similar? To digress for a moment, I see I got one view from Russia so holler at you Russia! Welcome! Anyway, my hope is that once I'm consistently instructed and in an art environment, the presence will stop being such a snob.

I'm in my history class as I write this. Yeah, look at me, blogging on paper! That's either really pathetic or really committed...As I was saying, if my professor licks her lips one more time, I swear to God. Ever since I was first introduced to Sarah Jessica Parker's tongue, (quite the opportunist, that tongue. Every chance it gets to nestle in the corner of her mouth), I've been sensitive about them. And my professor's tongue is even more aggressive, if you can imagine. I just searched for pictures of SJP's tongue moments to share with you all (an admittedly half hearted search) and came up with nothing. So either nobody else is as bothered by this as me, or SJP had them all removed out of embarrassment. Don't get me wrong, I love her. She's quirky and has the legs of a 5'11 woman on a 5'5 body. Which, I decided, is why she looks so awkward. But she makes it look good, so she gets a holler as well. Tonight is a night for rambling, apparently!!! Back to what I was saying about my history class. One of my favorite things in the world is when history teachers say things like "this is a really hot subject right now". The pains I go through to keep myself from cracking up in the back row. I mean come on! We're talking the 4th century here! It's fascinating stuff, mind you, but "hot subject" and "4th century history" do not belong in the same sentence together. Another thing I love more than anything (spoiler alert: sarcasm) is when you have a chatty Cathy sitting in your vicinity. Actually, his name was Tony. And he was a whisperer. Whispering Tony. So the professor was up there professing something about a really hot 4th century subject, asked a question, and said something along the lines of "...really obvious answers". And Whispering Tony sittin behind me whispers "pfft yeah...". Well gee, Tony, I don't see you raising your hand! Speak up, Whispers! I had a Whispering Aaron sitting behind me in my Junior English class. He sat directly behind me and had a response to literally everything the teacher had to say. In whispers, of course. It was amusing at first, but holy cheese and rice either say it loud enough for all to hear or cut the shit back there. I'm trying to listen to what has 4th century historians all hot and bothered.

-LG

No comments:

Post a Comment