2.24.2011

Lauren-1, Neuroses-0

I did something impulsive on Tuesday, folks. Technically I planned it the night before while getting ready for bed but that was at 1 am and I woke up at 8, so it counts. My class Tuesday didn't start until 6:10, so I decided to take some homework to the Mission and work on it while sipping on some Ethiopian coffee. And I have to say, not only was the impulsive act highly satisfying, but it had me rethinking my current motto "school really gets in the way of life". The two can have a symbiotic relationship. Shocker, right? Anyway, I'm motivated to make this a regular activity!

Edit: This post was technically written on Tuesday, and as the sun has stopped shining to make room for the rain, I'm thinking my short (but sweet) spurt of motivation had more to do with the weather than anything else...

Now on to what really matters: reviews! I'm late on these, but better late than never. I apologize for the lack of pictures, I was with a friend and I haven't quite gotten past the awkwardness that taking pictures for the blog sometimes entails. But I'm including the photos that I've found online so those will have to suffice for now.

1. Cafe du Soleil 
My first time here was two Fridays ago when I went to go pick up my new power chord. It's a cafe and patisserie, and if I'm not mistaken they also serve salads and other appetizers. The coffee is served in  large, wide cups and while I never fail to spill (I'm really bad with transferring motion while                      walking...okay I'm just clumsy), the cups make me happy. The colors are warm, and along with the          expected coffee-shop tables there is one long, aged wooden dining table with plush chairs. It's always set with a large floral arrangement that immediately brightens the room. Plus, free wifi! I give it 4/5 stars,       and here's why. The art currently hanging on the walls does not match the vibe of the place whatsoever.   Ambiance is very important to me, and the pieces detract from the overall mood and settings. I told my     parents this and they said I should go into business matching artists and venues. I would actually love       doing this and the idea has been at the back of my mind ever since.


 200 Fillmore Street

2. Idol Vintage
This place had me at "3.99 rack". It is not very often that you'll find a vintage shop offering anything for less than $15. I wasn't paying too much attention to the prices throughout the rest of the shop but I believe they were reasonable. It's the perfect size. Not too big, not too small, and it offers a wide range of era, style, and quality. I almost walked out of there with a strapless velvet mini dress, complete with a boned bodice, lace accents, peplum ruffle on the waist, and a bow to finish it off. Alas, the last few inches of zipper refused to budge. I'm not sure whether to blame my boobs or my relentlessly large ribs...either way, I know I'll be returning.

3162 16th Street

3. Clothes Contact
I'm not sure how I feel about this one. It's on the larger side, and when it comes to vintage, I find that overwhelming. However, it's well organized which cuts down on confusion. But let me just rant really quick about their dressing room situation. First of all, they're tiny. This in and of itself is to be expected for SF shops. The problem arises with the curtain. You ask for one at the counter and hang it yourself on two hooks. Fine. But son of a bitch, the hooks aren't high enough! I know that I'm taller than average, but this was a little ridiculous. On top of that, the curtains are wider than the opening, which means they droop and reveal even more than just your entire head. As a result, I decided to try twisting one side of the curtain to tighten it up (mind you, I'm half naked at this point) and make it higher. Success! Oh wait, now there's a 5 inch gap between the curtain and the wall. So now I'm half naked, hunched over in my closet (reminiscent of the pokey from Matilda) and I'm faced with a crippling dilemma: turn your naked arse to the curtain in an effort to protect your frontals, thereby exposing them to the mirror which then reflects into the store through the 5 inch gap and the massive lack of curtain on the top OR turn your frontals toward the curtain and give everybody a free show. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. At some point you'll come to the point that I did and say "this is San Francisco, and if the shoppers haven't seen a pair of boobs yet, then they shouldn't call themselves citizens of our fair boob friendly city". Basically don't try something on unless you would stake your mother's life on the fact that it's worth it. Needless to say, I found the dressing room experience distracting. But vintage is vintage and messiness is the beauty of thrifting. And boobs, evidently. 

473 Valencia Street

4. Nooworks
Although it is a smaller boutique, Nooworks utilizes their space very well. It's brightly lit, white, and not overwhelmed with crowded racks. The art on the walls is consistent with the style of clothes and with the neighborhood. I wasn't particularly drawn to the clothing as a whole, but I appreciate the aesthetic and the careful curating on the part of the shopkeepers. Props, Nooworks. Here's a link to their website. It's very well done and it gives you a good idea of what the store is like. I love me some bangin HTML and their site is phresh. 

395 Valencia Street

5. No. 
(as in Number)
I liked this place. First of all, it has an actual dressing area in the back. Second of all, it's small but like Nooworks, it utilizes the space well. The clothes racks are stacked vertically up the walls to keep the center of the first room open. It's a consignment shop, so the items are a mix of old and new. The shopkeeper also does an excellent job editing, as the racks aren't stuffed to capacity. And this is where I found my wonderful new fuchsia top! Which will be pictured further down. I'm pissed that I didn't take pictures and that I couldn't find any decent ones, because I really love the inside. You will have to go see for yourselves, I suppose!

389 Valencia Street 

6. Paxton Gate
There are no words. The mysteries of the universe are inside this store. Walking through the shelves of oddities, I felt flashes of past lives from mistier times. I could get lost here, easily. I didn't purchase anything, but I wanted to take everything home with me. Jars full of starfish and tables topped with coral, shelves of fungi, displays of butterflies, animal skulls, taxidermy, a back room devoted entirely to plants, and a garden out back. The list goes on. I'll leave you with a link to their page and pictures from their gallery. And for any moms or dads out there, there's a Paxton Gate for kids too.






824 Valencia Street

7. Upper Playground
Until my visit to Upper Playground, I didn't know there was a storefront. I've visited their website before, and enjoyed what they have to offer. But seeing it in person is ten times better than through a computer screen. Part of it is the neighborhood. The Mission is vibrating with creativity and that's obvious, especially in UP. There's something for everybody, and it's at the root of San Francisco expression. There's a lot to look at, and I wasn't alone, so I browsed as many shelves as I could to experience the full range. If any of you are big on wearing your art on your tee, check it out. If you don't live in the city, check out their site! 

220 Fillmore Street 

8. Four Barrel Coffee
In the beginning of the post, I mentioned doing my homework at a coffee shop while sipping on some Ethiopian coffee. This is where that magic happened. I've been here twice now, Tuesday being my second trip after enjoying it so much from the weekend. This whole adventure was really my first time in the Mission district, and I was immediately struck by the demographic. I mean I've heard that it's a hot spot for younger SF residents, but I wasn't expecting this fact to be so obvious. It was so strange and refreshing. Uh, Lauren, you live right off a college campus...I know, but that's different. Walking into Four Barrel was like being 5 and walking onto a playground. And the very first thought I had when we walked in was "single's bar". Right away it struck me as a place where single coffee drinkers might go to meet each other and strike up a conversation about the bands they watched perform that weekend. This wasn't a negative observation, just one I'd never made before. Most importantly, the coffee is cheap and good, and they brew it themselves. It's a lot of rough hewn wood, thick rope chandeliers, and natural metals, and all of the baristas are incredibly friendly and fun. I will definitely be going back.





375 Valencia Street

And there 'tis! My trip around the Mission. I still have quite a few stores on my list that I need to check out, and the next time the sun is shining I'm jumping on them! My next post will include my purchases from Thrift Town/future DIY's and my review of said thrift store. Until next time, y'all!

-LG

PS I don't have time to go back and read over the whole post, so I'm hoping nothing's wrong with it! Apologies, just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment