2.16.2011

Michael Kors.

Alright so it turns out that I don't have homework, but I have a quiz I didn't know about. High fives all around. It is now time for my public rant on Michael Kors.

First let me just say that I enjoy his pieces, and it's not very often that I find myself wholly disagreeing with his aesthetic. HOWEVER. I cannot be the only one to notice that he has put out the exact same color palette for the past FOUR YEARS! Am I the only one who finds this incredibly irritating? Especially when he sits on the panel of judges for Project Runway and critiques the designers' creativity and color choices. At least they have color! That man hasn't put out anything but neutrals in four years. And let's not forget that every year is made up of four "seasons". This means that for going on 16 seasons, we have seen the same thing over and over and over again. I was reading through InStyle, either from February or March, and there's a whole piece in there about him, complete with an interview of him and of a few celebrities who are "big fans". And once again, I should have taken notes, but I scoffed very loudly at almost all of his answers. I don't see what all the fuss is about! One of the things he said was that you almost never see his clothes in vintage stores because women hold on to them for ages, they're timeless. Yeah because they're all flippin beige! Of course beige is timeless, it's as neutral as it comes! You create wardrobe staples for a living. A savvy business decision? Sure, everybody needs some good neutral staples. That's why they're called staples. Savvy, yes. Inspiring? Hell no. It's not thought provoking or fresh or risky. It's Diane Keaton in "Something's Gotta Give" (if we're being honest, it's Diane Keaton in every movie she's ever been in. A match made in heaven, those two).


Beige turtlenecks. Vanilla. Mini van. Boring. Yes, the whole movie takes place in the Hamptons. And the Michael Kors demographic are the Hamptons vacationers. But the Hamptons are beige! And frickin boring! How many times can I say 'boring' in this post? Well when it comes to MK, what else is there to say? And adding some random bits of magenta and mustard into a collection does not make it edgy or inspired.

To illustrate my point:

2008 


2009 


2010 


2011

Here's a look at his store from the outside, also beige:

  
Do I love neutrals? Of course I do. I wear a lot of it. In fact, I've been wearing a lot of gray. For the past few months, not the past few years! Do something new already, Kors! I have a hard time staying awake when I walk past your store. He plays it safe. Even black would be more interesting than what he's got going on. He also seems to think that his tan needs to match the leather belts he has wrapped around his shapeless beige shift dresses. Look at me go, anything and everything is fair game tonight!

And finally, I will make a personal appeal to Michael Kors himself. Sir, will you please, for the love of all that is good and holy, stop wearing that effing shirt/jacket combo!!!!


Thank you for your time.

-LG

No comments:

Post a Comment