2.01.2011

The Exorcism of Lauren Grace.

Yesterday I posted about my creepy art tendencies and I thought I'd provide an example:
    


I immediately wanted to recreate this image after seeing the finished product. My first thought was "oh man this would make an awesome painting (if I could paint)". My second thought was "I'll do it without eyes. Just sockets". Not bloody ones, by the way, but a smooth concave where an eye would be. Yes, it would make people look, make them think twice. But I'm not consciously trying to get a rise out of people, so what is this subconscious drive to put people off? And maybe that's not it at all.

My favorite subject is the female form and representing emotional/psychological/emotional pain through physical manifestations. For instance, helplessness being represented by a lack of arms:


In truth, the only person I'm creating for is myself. As I write this I'm realizing that my "creepy tendencies" are me attempting to exorcise my own lack of eyes and arms, or whatever body parts my subjects are missing. Maybe my work makes me uncomfortable because feeling helpless at times is bad enough without an image of it to remind me. And yet it's the only kind of image I'm compelled to draw.

No comments:

Post a Comment