3.03.2011

Fage.

I never thought I'd say this about a yogurt, but this commercial takes my breath away.



"Plain was the same as it ever was
The same.
Plainly plain
Samely same.
But then, someone lit the flame.
Plain rode away on lion's main.
Where plain met fruits with strangely names.
Such wonderful things they did contain.
A shot of life to a hungry vein.
The captive beast who broke the chain.
And there upon that fruited plain,
Is where plain became what plain became.
So much more than more than plain.
Plain will never be the same."

There is nothing I appreciate more than a well done commercial, and I'll tell you why. Commercials suck. Period. Nobody likes to watch them, and we all suffer through them. Which makes it even worse when it is plainly obvious that no effort was made to at least make the commercial bearable. No humor, no depth, no wit, nothing. Some people may think that's a lot to ask, as they are just commercials, after all. But that's not the case. If anything, they should go the extra mile. If you're going to force feed us your products, then make it a somewhat enjoyable experience. And this commercial does that, and then some. It's beautiful. It's poetic. And it's about a freakin yogurt. So you see? It can be done. This commercial sets the bar.

If you're wondering what a yogurt commercial has to do with this blog, consider all the design elements happening. The mix of language and images. The contrast between white and color, sculpture and movement, liquid and solid. This is the kind of video that has me wishing I had something to do with the production. Like when you see a photograph and think "I wish I had taken that". That's what I think when I see this. I wish I had come up with it, filmed it, created that yogurt orchid. It also makes me wish I had flaming red hair and lived underwater. Little fun fact, long hair underwater has been one of my favorite things since taking baths as a young'n.

Anyway, just spreading the love! I hope you enjoyed.

-LG

No comments:

Post a Comment