3.16.2011

Red Eye.

I am currently suffering the consequences of the double shot coffee I downed a few hours ago, aptly named "The Red Eye". I'm hungry, light-headed, I can feel activity in my intestines *cough*, and my vision is out of whack. Why did I get a double shot? Because my caffeine tolerance went way up recently and one shot stopped doing the trick. This is how heroin addicts are born, people. Pretty soon I'll have track marks in my arm from IV coffee infusions. You'll find me on Skid Row, comparing abscesses.

Moving on: tomorrow is Thursday! You know what that means? A trip to The Mission. Tomorrow I'm going to the fabric store (conveniently located right next to Thrift Town) to collect the rest of the fabric samples for sister's wedding colors. She has left this delicate task up to me, and not only am I honored, but I am high with planning power. Which brings me to a musing: I've been thinking lately (constantly, incessantly, sleeplessly) about what I want to be. What I want to do. It occurred to me how annoying this must be for you. Every week I want to be/do something else. I may as well add fireman, astronaut, and my mom/dad to the list, as I sound like a first grader. However, if you read the About Me in the right margin, you will see it clearly stated that the purpose of this blog is to document the JOURNEY! It's like I'm looking at a map with a thousand possible routes and I'm trying to pick one, all the while fully aware that I'll switch routes a hundred times before finding the one I like the best and THEN I'll realize that I'm changing my destination altogether. And I'm okay with that. Anyway, this week's route is event/wedding planning. I know what you're thinking. I'm only considering it because I'm currently helping my sister and when the planning is over I'll get bored and move on to something else. Well you are wrong. Planning has always been a love of mine. It includes nearly all of what I love to do: design a space for someone, make someone else's vision a reality, be crafty/creative/all around awesome, negotiate/haggle, be the middle man between a client and a vendor, work with people, and the list goes on and on. Plus I like to be in control. That may sound like an unfortunate quality but when the reins are handed over to me and I'm being depended on, I get my butt in gear and perform. It really is a high for me. The fact that sister has put a time sensitive task in my hands and said "I trust you" has me raring to prove myself to her. That may also sound like an unfortunate trait but it's not. Succeeding at things simply for myself just doesn't do it for me. That is unfortunate, I suppose. But competing with myself and showing others that I will come through for them does do it for me. It never gets old. You see, I really am a competitive person. But I don't enjoy being competitive with other people because I don't like the side of me it brings out. She's petty and can be a bit of a sore loser. But when I compete with myself, it's a whole other story. Anyway all of this is to say that being an event/wedding planner has always been hanging out at the back of my mind but for some reason I've pushed it aside time and again to make space for new possibilities. Sometimes the answer is there all along. So we'll see.

Now for the weekend craft! I said yesterday that Chelsea and I wanted to craft together Saturday night and I think we've made an excellent choice! We're going to tie-dye. Or rather, reverse tie-dye by removing color with bleach. The method we're gonna use is called "shibori", which is a Japanese method for dyeing cloth by binding, twisting, or folding cloth to produce multiple different effects and designs. Here is the Wikipedia post about it. I'm super excited because I came across a shibori DIY on Honestly...WTF (also a great blog you should check out) almost a year ago and saved it to my computer in hopes that I would do it before summer was over. I never got around to it and now is my chance!

A few examples of shibori via Honestly...WTF. They dyed white fabric with indigo dye (which I absolutely love), but Chelsea and I will be doing the opposite by bleaching colored fabric. Which brings me to what else I'll be doing tomorrow! Since I'll be there anyway (look at that seamless justification. Classic signs of addiction) I'm gonna pop into Thrift Town tomorrow in search of some things to bleach. I'm thinking of buying a few different things so that I can get a few different looks. Some edgier, perhaps, and some softer and more springy. Oh yeah, remember when I said I thought I was coming down from my spending phase? Well, I'm not. Anyway, I think I'll get some lunch while I'm over there. If there's a neighborhood with amazing food, it's The Mission. Perhaps I'll stop in at PicaPica. I've been meaning to go since last year and now I can finally review it! And now it is time for me to eat so that I have more than just caffeine sloshing around in my stomach. Toodles!

-LG

No comments:

Post a Comment