3.28.2011

Calvin Klein.

This is the first post of my experiment! The idea is to see if this particular post gets an unseemly amount of views simply because it's titled "Calvin Klein". However, while this is the title I've chosen and while I have you here (hi, Mom), I figured I would take this opportunity to ask you all for some clarification on the new CK One commercials.



I'm afraid I just don't get it. It's a bunch of models in Calvin Klein dancing/interacting in a white box while multiple genres of music filter through. What's the message? The tag line is "CK One! It's the only one!". Does that mean that no matter what kind of music you're dancing in a white box to, your Calvin Klein boxers and jeans will always be appropriate? Don't get me wrong, this is excellent news. It's such a hassle to have to change my boxers and jeans when my jazz comes on, so I'm relieved to say the least. But I dunno, guys, I grow insanely impatient and annoyed with such blatant displays of "cool". Look at all these free spirited "cool people" dancing in a white box! CK One (the only one, don't forget) is your ticket to the White Box. No this is not a rant about body image or the pressure to look like the citizens of White Boxville. This is a rant about ad agencies not trying harder to subvert us. I'm offended by ads like this. It reduces me to an easy target. Are we really so complacent that all an ad has to say is "Pepsi. Buy it." for us to comply? Come on guys, make them work for our money! You're seriously satisfied by a bunch of randoms dancing awkwardly in a box to sell you Calvin Klein? You should be ashamed of yourselves. I guess I'm getting mad at the wrong people here. You're not the problem. Not the only problem, anyway. It's those bastards producing the ads. This is why I love watching Mad Men. It's an inside look at the manipulation that goes into making us feel like "The Only One". That ad is written just for you. For your life and for your needs. Without that product, you can stay who you are (we don't want that, you're not good enough). But with that product, you can be great. That and it introduced me to my future husband, Jon Hamm. That and I've never seen a show so impeccably styled with sets and props that are beyond the adjectives of the English language. That and the acting is phenomenal. Did I mention Jon Hamm? Anyway, you get my point. If you don't already watch it, you should. It's eye opening. I haven't looked at ads the same way since I started watching, and thank goodness because I was getting lazy for a second there. Oh, no way, Drew Barrymore wears that lipgloss?! Me too, now! But not anymore, folks. No way.

Do excuse, I digress. Back to CALVIN KLEIN CALVIN KLEIN CALVIN KLEIN (sorry, that was just in case the title wasn't enough). What are your thoughts? Explanations, anyone? Am I completely missing the point here?

-LG

No comments:

Post a Comment