3.20.2011

I Love Your Ass.

Now there's a line I hadn't heard before. Until Thursday, that is. I would have dropped everything and gone home with that charmer if I didn't have important errands to run. Alas, now all I can do is dream of this mysterious gentleman accosting innocent women from the corner, and wonder what our life together would have looked like...like two ships in the night, he and I...

Anyhow, it's time now to tell you all about my great success on Thursday. I had intended to leave my apartment by 9:30 so that I could enjoy the sunshine and have enough time to mosey around and perhaps get some lunch. However, after climbing into bed on Wednesday night I was unable to fall asleep. At all. When I got out of bed at 7, I was struck with the need to take pictures. I think that my mind running for 7 straight hours without any interruptions helped in bringing about some inspiration. I tend to have some of my best epiphanies when I'm half asleep in bed. The downside there is that I always assure myself that I'll remember them come tomorrow and of course that's never the case. And we're talking shower-grade epiphanies. The kind you have while staring at the tiled walls of your shower with nothing else to do but soak and think. Regardless of my lack of sleep, I woke up feeling so energized and excited and I started taking pictures the minute roomie left for class. That was part 1 of my awesome Thursday. I really like the way the pictures turned out and you can see them in the Self Portraits section of my photography page.


My first stop of the day was the discount fabric store on 17th and Mission, and let me just say that this place is bangin'. They're serious when they say 'discount'. Not only is everything pretty cheap to begin with, but they have markdowns on top of that. Most sections were 40-50% off. I went to pick out the rest of the wedding colors for sister, and in the process I picked up some gray cotton jersey remnant fabric that I plan on making into a circle scarf, some pre-cut black sequined fabric that I plan on turning into a flowy tank top, and some other bits and baubles that I'm going to use for jewelry (omg!). The crazy markdowns paired with my ridiculously savvy shopping skills culminated in a grand total of $2.96. I know, my jaw dropped too. You can be impressed. 















This particular "fabric" was a leather (or fake leather, not quite sure) backed with a gray cotton of some sort. The two were attached with some crazy kind of adhesive that has apparently been mutating over the years, causing ripping, tearing, and all around unpleasant stickiness. Which is unfortunate because how cute would a pair of shorts in this fabric be? Scalloped bottom with eyelet detailing? Jackpot.


Anti-jackpot.

Afterward I headed over to Thrift Town, as the two are next door neighbors. I still can't get over that. AND across the street is a 97cent-and-up store. Not $1. Nope. 97 cents. Gotta love the Mission. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, as usual, but ended up coming away with a 100% cashmere coat for $13 (score), a magenta dress that I'm going to hem to add to my collection of shift dresses, and last but not least I found the perfect blanket for this tutorial. I am jazzed. Except I'm also pissed because while at the fabric store I bought 2 kilt pins (2 for $1, what what) which are essentially giant safety pins and I had no idea what I would do with them. Then I found the blanket and it was fate, I tell you. But THEN I get back to my apartment and the kilt pins are missing. Pissed. Anyhow, I haven't had the chance to photograph my thrift finds in all their glory but I did snap a few pictures while there. 


Here's a quick look at what I brought into the dressing room with me. On the far left is my fabulous blanket; magenta dress (I will be removing the shoulder pads); a pair of teal leather shorts; a 1980's coral wrap dress complete with poofy sleeves; a black and gray sweater dress. 
Here's something I've noticed about myself, and I'm sure I'm not the only one but either way I find it irritating: when I buy an item of clothing that is particularly interesting to me --whether because of it's color or fabric or what have you-- I'm then subconsciously drawn to that exact same color or fabric everywhere else I go. Exhibit a: magenta dress. I just bought a bright magenta top and now a dress to go with it? Exhibit b: coral wrap dress. While I did not buy this item, it is literally the same color AND fabric of the coral shorts I just finished. This is getting ridiculous. Those are just two recent examples. The list goes on, believe me. But overall my thrifting was a great success (part 2 of awesome Thursday) and I'm excited to share the pictures of my purchases!

After Thrift Town I headed over to PicaPica Maize Kitchen (review to follow) for lunch. That was part 3. By the time I was finished it was almost 4 in the afternoon, my feet were killing me, and I had to get back to my place in time to go see some local artists perform on campus. This was an excellent way to end my day. I went with my good friend and my roomie to see one group in particular, From The Hip. They're rap/jazz fusion and pretty damn bangin' if I do say so myself. Unfortunately we only caught the tail end of their performance but I could tell from the crowd that everybody loved them. After that was Audible Mainframe. Now they are something else. They were amazing live, probably better than their recorded work. And that is hard to come by these days. They're also rap/rock/jazz fusion and do it so well and so seamlessly. A lot of the time fusion or genre crossing can result in a lot of discordant beats and sounds, but that was definitely not the case here.  Their lyrics are clever and thought provoking and it's evident that the group is comprised of intelligent individuals. They were among the opening acts but the groups that followed, honestly not even worth mentioning. Overall it was the perfect way to end awesome Thursday. 

And now before I go, I'll leave you with one final thought:



"Hood Rich: It's A Life Style".
Word.

-LG

No comments:

Post a Comment