3.27.2011

Hook, Line, and Sinker.

Blogger is really quite handy. It allows me to track page views, what posts get looked at the most, what parts of the world my readers (accidental or otherwise) are hailing from, etc. And after watching closely for a few weeks, I've noticed that my post entitled "Michael Kors" gets crazy hits. Either everybody wants to read my sweet rant about Michael Kors, or they're inadvertently being directed to my site after searching "Michael Kors" in Google. Which gave me a brilliant idea. I'm going to start labeling my posts things like "Calvin Klein", "Vera Wang", "Kennedy Assassination" (for any conspiracy theorists with a soft spot for the life-musings of a strange girl), and other things along those lines. I figure the titles can lure them in, and my wit, charm, and unsurpassed beauty will get them to stay. It's foolproof. Here's the thing, though: the link to my page doesn't show up on Google until, say, page 19 of the search results. Which is all well and good, but by the time you reach page 19, the results are mostly completely unrelated to what you're searching for. So what are you doing there? If you haven't found what you're looking for by page 19-- hell, by page 4-- try another search! Although I shouldn't complain. Every decent blog fan base starts with the uninformed Google search and the hope that said searcher will be confused enough to stay and read your posts. Right?...

Anyway, I have to give myself a pat on the back for this one. It really is brilliant. I apologize to any non accidental readers who may grow annoyed with my trapping tactic. I'll compromise with you and include a subtitle for every post. I'm mostly kidding of course, but after writing this I really am interested in whether this would work. I think for the next few days I'm going to try it out and see what happens. Bear with me, this could be fun! Or entertaining, or insightful, or something. In the meantime I'm going to search "Michael Kors" and see what page I actually show up on. Hey, maybe it's jumped up a few pages since it's gotten a few hits. This is vanity at it's best, eh? Edit: Gave up on this pretty fast. It's 1 in the morning, gimme a break.

In other news, I'm home for the weekend. And I completed my wire project experiment! And by "completed" I mean "tried my original idea, realized how silly I was to think that it would work, started doing random things with the wire until I was stabbed with an idea (it's very sharp wire), tried it, kind of completed it, and am now referring to it as an 'experiment' to deter any critics who disagree with my thinking it was a success". Pictures and details will be up hopefully by Monday night or Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment